Chicken 'n' Waffles
Vegan smoked gouda, oven-baked bread breaded plant-based chicken bathed in maple orange hot sauce, sizzling sautéed vegan bacon and crisp romaine lettuce, all sitting on a bed of hot waffles, scraped with jalapeño vegan mayo.
I’m about breakfast for champions and boss brunches. This Chicken ‘n’ Waffle Sandwich recipe throws it down in the kitchen, it’s no joke! Before we begin, let’s get one thing straight. I have never, ever heard of breaded or battered chicken being served for breakfast before. Wait, then the thought of placing this hot piece of chicken on top of some waffles, then pouring it with maple syrup, or hot wing sauce, or both?! Now, that’s too far… but is it.
Until it was Super Bowl LIV in Miami, FL. I walked into a hotel, past the restaurant and saw it with my own eyes! I had to double take, it was something - I never tasted it because by this time I was already plant-based, but it did make an impression on me.
For me, consuming plant-based chicken or burgers are a “sometimes” food. It’s great when cooking for my carnivorous friends and clients, this is actually how I created this recipe.
My Chicken ‘n’ Waffle Sandwich will convert and induct any meat eater to the ‘V’ Gang! Take any given Sunday, make it a funday and chef this up at home. Till then!
SERVES: 3 | PREPTIME: 10 MIN | COOK TIME: 30 MIN
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 6 Vegan Crispy Chicken Tenders
- 6 Vegan Waffles
- 6 Vegan Bacon Strips
- 1 Head of Romaine Lettuce
- 3 Vegan Smoked Gouda slices
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Hot Wing Sauce:
- 1 tbsp. Orange Zest
- 1/2 Orange, juiced
- 1/4 c. Vegan Butter
- 1 c. Hot Sauce
- 1/3 c. Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Jalapeño Pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. Vegan Mayo
- 3 Thyme sprigs, chopped
WHAT TO DO:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In pan, on med heat add olive oil, garlic and spinach, stirring frequently for 5-10 minutes.
- In large mixing bowl, add vegan cheeses, sautéed spinach and oregano, mix well and set aside.
- Lightly flour a clean surface, place puff pastry in middle and using rolling pin gently roll out until a large rectangle is achieved. Cut lengthwise so there’s two slim rectangles.
- Halve the cheese mixture and spoon along the center of the rectangles, keeping from edges. Fold and roll over pastry, pinching edges as you go along. Brush top with olive oil, cut into quarters, sprinkle with olive oil and Celtic Sea Salt® and oregano leaves, then place on baking tray and bake for 35-45 minutes or until pastry becomes golden brown.
- Add all ingredients for spiced ketchup together and mix well.
- Remove golden, flakey baked spinach and three cheese pastries from oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving with spiced ketchup and enjoy.
DID YOU CHEF UP THIS RECIPE?
Tag us @eatvirgin on Instagram and hashtag #eatvirgin