Garlic, sautéed spinach, tossed with salty plant-based cheeses and wrapped in flakey, buttery puff pastry that melts moments of ecstasy in your mouth.
Good food unites all, it’s that time of day when we sit down, a word needn’t be said but the gentle closing of one’s eyes, the mmm hummed and that pause after the first bite say it all. This is how I feel about Spinach and Three Cheese Pastry. It’s demure, humble, it’s Aussie. The Greeks have their version, the Spanakopita, phyllo-wrapped and cut into triangles. The Turkish and Balkens have Börek, literally translated to bur- 'to twist’, made from rolling filled sheets of dough into a spiral twist.
My first memory of these delectable delights began when I was a toddler in Sydney, Australia. The local shops were all family owned, and when we’d walk past, they’d always have a little something for me to nibble on.
With a spinach and cheese pastry snugly fit in my five-year-old hands and a squeeze of ketchup oozing down my white sleeve, I was one happy little girl.
When I moved to the U.S. I literally lost sight of them, it was even difficult to find the Greek and Balkan varieties, I knew I had to remix the bites of joy, so I went hunting for plant-based cheeses, pulled out the puff pastry and stepped into my office, the kitchen to create something salivating, yet simple.
I hope you enjoy watching the video as much as you enjoy eating them. After you make this recipe, remember to share, we’d love to see how they turn out!
SERVES: 6 | PREP TIME: 10 MIN | COOK TIME: 35-45 MIN
WHAT YOU NEED:
Pastry + Filling:
- 5 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large bunch of Spinach, washed, dried and thinly sliced
- 1 c. Vegan Parmesan
- 1 c. Vegan Ricotta (almond)
- 1 c. Vegan Mozzarella (nut or seed based)
- 1 tbsp. Oregano leaves, reserving a pinch for later
- 1 pack Vegan Puff Pastry, defrosted
- Celtic Sea Salt®
- Olive Oil
- 1/3 c. Ketchup
- 1 tbsp. Cumin. ground
- 1/4 c. Tamari
WHAT TO DO:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In pan, on med heat add olive oil, garlic and spinach, stirring frequently for 5-10 minutes.
- In large mixing bowl, add vegan cheeses, sautéed spinach and oregano, mix well and set aside.
- Lightly flour a clean surface, place puff pastry in middle and using rolling pin gently roll out until a large rectangle is achieved. Cut lengthwise so there’s two slim rectangles.
- Halve the cheese mixture and spoon along the center of the rectangles, keeping from edges. Fold and roll over pastry, pinching edges as you go along. Brush top with olive oil, cut into quarters, sprinkle with olive oil and Celtic Sea Salt® and oregano leaves, then place on baking tray and bake for 35-45 minutes or until pastry becomes golden brown.
- Add all ingredients for spiced ketchup together and mix well.
- Remove golden, flakey baked spinach and three cheese pastries from oven, allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving with spiced ketchup and enjoy.
Did you chef up this recipe?
Tag us @eatvirgin on Instagram and hashtag #eatvirgin