Succulent dormant spices awaken by flame, seitan shape shifts into tender cooked lamb, chickpeas unite as hummus and cherry tomatoes, cucumber, kalamata olives, bell peppers, juice of lemons and parsley create perfect henosis, Greek for a mystical unity, a oneness for all to share.
If my spirit animal were a location, it would be a ‘yet-to-be discovered’ Greek Island in the center of that crystal blue saltwater, I’d live off the land, play in the sea, dance under the moonlight and have perfect beach hair every day of my life. Sigh, I’m not quite there, yet.
Until then, I create experiences that live on my plate and dance on my taste buds.
Here you have it, my spirit animal passport to Greece, from my heart to your tummy, I offer you Vegan Greek Gyro.
Yes, it is that good, and it ain’t just nutritious, nah it’s dee-licious! It’s permission to live freely as one, with a true feeling of fulfillment. Till next time, stay blessed!
SERVES: 4 | PREP TIME: 20 MIN | COOK TIME: 15 MIN
WHAT YOU NEED:
Spice Blend for Vegan Lamb:
- 1 Tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Coriander Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Sweet Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Oregano leaves
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Cup Seitan Strips
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 C. Garbanzo Beans, canned (reserve 1/4 c. for topping)
- 1/2 Tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 1/2 Tsp. Sweet Smoked Paprika
- 2 Tbsp. Tahini
- 4 C. Water
- 2 Tbsp. Greek Olive Oil (optional)
- 1/4 C Greek Olive Oil (optional)
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 1/2 Red Onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 1/4 c. Flat Parsley, finely chopped
- 2 Baby Bell Peppers/ 1 Bell Pepper, Chopped
- 1 1/2 c. Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1 Persian Cucumber, halved, deseeded and sliced
- 1/2 c. Kalamata Olives, halved
- 3/4 C. Hard Vegan Havarti or Feta, diced
WHAT TO DO:
- In pan, on medium heat, add olive oil, garlic, seitan and spice blend, toss well. Turn to med-low heat, stirring frequently.
- In blender or food processor, add hummus ingredients, (reserving 1/4 c. garbanzo beans for later), blend till smooth. Place into bowl, sprinkle garbanzo beans on top, a swirl of olive oil (optional) and pinch of paprika. Set aside.
- In bowl, pour lemon juice, onion and salt, then massage between fingers. Add all other salad ingredients together and gently toss with hands. Set aside.
- Place 4 pita breads on top of seitan in pan, turn heat to high, add 1/2 cup water and cover and allow aroma to infuse and steam bread hot. Turn off heat and prepare to serve.
- Place 4 pita bread on serving plate, take one heaped spoonful and spread down center. Add a couple spoonfuls of Greek salad, then place seitan on top. Serve open, or wrap up in brown paper and foil, then serve immediately.
Did you chef up this recipe?
Tag us @eatvirgin on Instagram